:::: MENU ::::

Wednesday 16 September 2015


Have you ever jumped right into building a model, selected a plane to begin sketching your best profile onto and then, some way into modelling felt that your models view orientations are just not quite set-up right? Perhaps you have found yourself in the drawing environment whilst pulling model views into a drawing and have noticed that certain view orientations don’t match up by name to how you thought they might?

Well here is an incredibly simple reminder of how to re-orientate your standard views in SOLIDWORKS for the many reasons that you may want to do this.

In the View Orientation drop down menu we have a variety of options for orienting your model in three dimensional space. We have 6 standard projection views and 3 standard perspective views. We can also orientate the graphics area Normal To/Perpendicular to a selection that you have made as well as the ability to tile multiple model view orientations across the display area. We can also add new custom views and use the view selector. I would like to view the front of my model now and so have went ahead and selected the Front view in the view orientation drop down. SOLDIWORKS will now rotate and zoom my model to the selected view orientation.

This orientation however is not reflective of what I would consider to be the Front of my model. I would consider the screen of my tablet model here to be the true front of it and as such would expect the Front View to match this preference.

For this reason I would like to reset the standard model views to reflect my preference and can do this by clicking the view orientation box in the heads-up view toolbar and selecting the more options arrow to the top right of the menu. I can also access this menu via the (Spacebar) keyboard shortcut or by navigating to View > Modify > Orientation.

Once inside this menu I can make changes to my view orientations by either clicking on Update standard views or Reset standard views. Resetting will allow me to revert to the original views if I make any changes that I would like to undo. Update standard views will let me make changes to my standard view orientations. I will click on Update standard views in this case.

SOLIDWORKS will then ask me to select the view that I would like to assign the current view to. But what is the “current view” that SOLIDWORKS is referring to? Simply, whatever orientation I currently have my model placed in on my screen. That orientation will be assigned to the standard view that I select in the menu. So be aware that you could orientate your model in any way, Normal To a particular area of the model or indeed completely arbitrarily if you wanted to.

I have now orientated my model to what I consider to be the bottom of the Tablet and as this is my “current view”, upon selection of the standard bottom view icon in the view orientation menu, my “current view” will be assigned to this. SOLIDWORKS will now inform me that various other views will be affected if I assign this new view orientation to my model. Happy that I am ok with this, I will select yes to proceed.

Whenever I do this, all of the standard views will be updated based upon the re-assigned bottom view. The comparison given below shows the change that this will now make to each of the standard views. I managed to divide my screen like this by selecting the Four view tile option in the view orientation menu.

The image above displays my original model orientation and the image below, the new. Pay particular attention to the name of each view orientation. ie. *Front, *Left, * Top, *Isometric.

I hope that you can find a use for this month’s very simple tech blog or that it has solved any headaches that you may have had when orientating your model in the display area. The benefit of making these changes helps you more intuitively flow between model views and extends into the drawing environment as well which can save any confusion between drawing view names and their orientation.
Categories: ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.